Thursday, March 15, 2012

Quick retroactive blog about Nakuru!


 I realized I didn’t blog at all about Nakuru, even though I posted some pictures. So basically, expedition in Nakuru was one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had! Firstly, I had the BEST tent mates ever. My tent consisted of Becca, Sidra, Patrick, Sarah, and myself (since there are only 2 boys here there aren’t enough tents for them to have their own, so the boys chose who they wanted in their respective tents and our permission was asked). We all became much closer during expedition (we even brushed our teeth together at night because being in utter darkness in the middle of a National Park is kinda scary haha) we called ourselves the “tent team” and took some family photos at one of the overlooks in the park. It was amazing camping in the middle of the park because pretty much every morning and evening was spent doing game drives and collecting data and since the park is so small we got to know it really, really well. Dr. Shem has actually been working in some form with Nakuru for over 20 years…so he’s pretty much an expert and gave us the rundown of everything that’s ever happened there. Every night we had RAP around the campfire and learned tons of fun songs and games. It was great not having my computer at all…I got a ton of reading done because I didn’t feel the need to be on the internet. Everyone was in a super good mood the whole time because we had no assignments or work to do until we got back. (one thing I’ve noticed here…having assignments/projects/exams makes everyone bitchy, until it’s over and then we’re all fine again) The weather there was also a really nice change. Here in the Amboseli area it’s so hot and dry that I feel like I shrivel up every time I go out in the sun. In Nakuru, though, it was beautiful. It was freezing early in the morning, got really nice by the late morning, and rained almost every afternoon. Normally I’m not a fan of rain…but it’s such a rarity here that it really lifts everyone’s spirits. What else can I say about the Nakuru expedition? Oh yeah…I went five days without showering. And on the last day we went to a tourist lodge for a few hours to hang out by the pool, stuff our faces at the buffet, and get drinks. I bought a frozen mango daiquiri! My first legal drink! Well…legal here is 18, but regardless, I bought my first “I’m 21 now!” drink. And now you can laugh at me…because it had way too much alcohol in it and I am a super light-weight so Becca drank half of it. Uhhhhh I think that’s everything.

2 comments: